The Screenplay-novel Manifestos

Less is more vivid

Friday, July 28, 2006

Away

I'm going to be away for roughly a week. My wife and I will be doing some travelling -- close to home and then very far afield. Hopefully my back will last the journeys.

Two links to check out in the meantime are Dan Green's The Reading Experience and Robert Nagle's Idiotprogrammer, both of whom have commentary on this site. Both raise very interesting questions of what, exactly, art is capable of accomplishing. This, it seems to me, is a particularly important issue that needs to be discussed in an ongoing way in the blogosphere, since not only the decline in book sales and general sense of crisis in publishing is of interest to writers, but the rapid widening of conflict in the Middle East creates a situation in which art's power (or lack thereof) needs to be meditated upon.

It is dialogue itself that helps illuminate what any given thing in the world is -- and this is as true of literary art as it is of other fields of human endeavor. In other words, creative people need to talk with each other about questions such as what art is capable of achieving not because there are final answers, but because the dialogue itself is also part of what art "is".


p.s. Hopefully I'll be able to continue my discussion with Dan at some point in the future, because I think there's a little confusion between us about what we mean by artists who work with both art and writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home